HOT FRUIT

Arts writer Stephen Blair invites you into his dreamy lair of films, books and music.

Friday, April 28, 2006



HELLO STRANGER!


I've been in love with Amy Sedaris ever since I saw my first episode of Strangers with Candy. On that Comedy Central TV show she played Jerri Blank, an ex-con bisexual junky whore who returns to high school at the age of 46. If you've never seen Jerri's extremely un-PC antics, I highly recommend that you hightail it to the video store (or your Netflix cue) and rent the DVDs.
Recently my Amy Sedaris fixes have been limited to her occasional manic appearances on the Letterman show. Last night Drew and I even stooped to watching the crappy Disney movie Chicken Little just to hear Amy voice the character Foxy Loxy.
Now I'm thrilled that much bigger servings of Ms. S await me on my dinner plate. In late June Think Film releases the long-delayed Strangers with Candy movie in major cities, and it should be playing all over the country by the end of July. Dispatches from last year's Sundance Film Festival said that the first half hour is hilarious, but apparently a stupid storyline takes over after that. I'm counting on cast members Stephen Colbert, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Allison Janney and, of course, Amy to make up for the plot's shortcomings.

Then in the fall Amy publishes I Like You, summed up by Warner Books in the following press release blurb:

The inspiration for I LIKE YOU comes from Sedaris's own domestic expertise. A notorious baker and cook, her famous cheese balls can be bought at Gourmet Garage and her cupcakes at Joe Coffee in New York City. Sedaris covers all aspects of home entertaining. Sample chapters include: A Greek Dinner Date; Grieving; Entertaining Children; A Rich Uncle Comes to Visit; Baby Shower; The Elderly; Cooking for Oneself; Picnic; and a variety of courtships, such as dating a hunter, a dieter, or an alcoholic. All chapters contain tips, hits and misses, and end with a critical evaluation of the event or a letter from a guest.

Martha Stewart must be shaking in her boots.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home