HOT FRUIT

Arts writer Stephen Blair invites you into his dreamy lair of films, books and music.

Sunday, November 11, 2007



American Gangster (Grade A-)

Out of all the big movie releases this fall I looked forward to American Gangster the least. Maybe it's because it seemed like director Ridley Scott's genius days were over (A logical conclusion given that most of his recent films have sucked. Kingdom of Heaven or A Good Year, anyone?). And though I admire his work in L.A. Confidential and The Insider, my tolerance for Russell Crowe and his icky Aussie machismo is very low these days. Despite these reservations I gave Gangster a whirl today, and I must admit that I was impressed. Denzel Washington is as commanding and charming as always as New York heroin lord Frank Lucas. Crowe is just fine as his foil and Ruby Dee does wonders with about five minutes of screen time as Lucas's mother. Some scenes are shamelessly derivative of The French Connection, Goodfellas and The Godfather films. But for the most part Scott turns this true story into a riveting ride, and teases out fascinating aspects of the Vietnam Era that I'd never seen in a mainstream film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home