HOT FRUIT

Arts writer Stephen Blair invites you into his dreamy lair of films, books and music.

Sunday, February 24, 2008


My Bologna Has a First Name, It's ....

Tonight's Oscar ceremony went pretty much according to plan, and I don't have much to say about it other than:
Yippee for the amazing Coen brothers, and I'm glad that There Will Be Blood, Michael Clayton and other deserving films did not go home empty handed.
Too bad voters didn't look beyond the Pixar wizardry and recognize that the hand-drawn Persepolis is an even better animated film than Ratatouille.

I had been rooting for Julie Christie for Best Actress since I first saw Away From Her a year ago, but Marion Cotillard's surprise win didn't bother me too much since she was quite brilliant in La Vie En Rose.

Tilda Swinton's victory came as a total shock-a-roo to me. I thought the Supporting Actress category had boiled down to a three-way race between Amy Ryan, Ruby Dee and Cate Blanchett, so my hopes weren't high for Tilda even though she's one of my favorite actresses. Her irreverent acceptance speech was my favorite moment of the night.

Per usual the production pretty much sucked, with even more interminable film archive montages than usual. And I doubt I'm the only kid on the block who was hardly Enchanted by the trio of moldy Disney songs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home