HOT FRUIT

Arts writer Stephen Blair invites you into his dreamy lair of films, books and music.

Sunday, May 07, 2006






WESTERN WAREHOUSE
I've never wanted to be in a rodeo, and I've never been a big John Wayne fan. But over the years I've discovered that no fashion statement suits me better than a dynamite Western shirt. The gaudy embroidery and the heavenly pearl buttons make me feel spunky, and I feel like I've virtually achieved celebrity status on the occassions when envious strangers offer to buy my shirts right off my back.
Over the past week I saw two films that prominently featured Western wear, and they inspired me to take a moment to celebrate my own cherished cowboy duds. First I watched the horribly dated (but totally entertaining) Urban Cowboy, which afforded me the joyous opportunity to see John Travolta getting the living shit fucked out of him by a mechanical bull. And yesterday Drew and I went out to see Don't Come Knocking, a new film by Wim Wenders. Sam Shepard models some to-die-for Western shirts in his role as a has-been actor who meets up with children he never knew he had.

2 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, that's quite an image: the living shit fucked out of him. best not to think too hard on that one as we say in the wild west. by the way, i have a collection of cowgirl shirts going myself which i bought in wyoming at corral west ranchwear, where the rodeo queens go to shop. no joke. it's my heritage, don't you know!

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no! i used "you know" at the beginning and end of that post. sorta lazy of me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home