HOT FRUIT

Arts writer Stephen Blair invites you into his dreamy lair of films, books and music.

Monday, August 14, 2006


BABY
BABY
BABY
BABY
OH
BABY

Every once in a while I lose control, pump up the volume on my stereo and pop in a CD by The Carpenters. Yes, I feel a little bit embarrassed as the schmaltzy sounds of "Superstar" and "I Won't Last a Day Without You" pipe through the speakers and float out the screen doors and open windows of the house. What will the neighbors think? Will I be forever uncool in their eyes for my lapse in musical judgement?

After going on a very satisfying Carpenters jag this past week, I've decided that I'm ready to put my shame aside and tell the world that I heart Karen and Richard. Sure, lots of their lyrics make Hallmark cards look like philosophical treatises. But let's fact facts: Karen's voice is a velvety, pitch-perfect force of nature that trumps the trite sentiments and the glorified Muzak in the background. I can only stand these siblings in small doses, but I'm most definitely on top of the world while the buzz lasts.

Are you game for a little quality Carp time? Click on the following link to see a medley of their greatest hits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TArTFZa4ESo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home